Re: [Gnumed-devel] coding in the SOAP notes plugin

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] coding in the SOAP notes plugin
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 12:22:36 -0700

On 2011-05-21, at 11:16 AM, Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:

> For example: In Brasil it would be REALLY nice to have the code in the soAP
> fields only (and even there I would let A be a ICD and the P a coded
> procedure system)
>
> On the other hand if I could take them ALL out of the SOAP and leave them
> only on the summary column it would be even better.
> Then I could get reports that show only the ICD and procedure codes by simply
> getting the summary field (which would be now renamed to "Codes" in my mind)

The most flexible design would allow to associate coding each row type, despite
that the users in the praxis may not desire to input at each row type:

1) Perhaps there is not (at this time) a system of coding for information that
patients tell us, but maybe there will be later.

2) If a patient tells me they had appendix removal or mumps, my only imperfect
proof is (for appendicectomy) a McBurney incision and (for "mumps") *no* proof
at all. Can I really put this in soAp or is it really only what the patient
tells me, therefore in Soap and therefore that is where the coding should be
able to go!?

IMO to say no, you cannot do this, is too restrictive.

I *can* understand (and agree) to a preference to be able to selectively
*suppress* (in the GUI) coding for particular row types.

I expect that in any one installation of GNUmed (one database, one clinic /
praxis) the participating clinicians might desire consistency even if some
clinicians do not so regularly actually input the information.

If user-based preferences are manageable, maybe those would be ok.

??

-- Jim