Re: [Gnumed-devel] Managing staff (user accounts)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Managing staff (user accounts)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 13:19:34 +0200

> where it explains "+ mark really means "match any of the roles that are
> directly or indirectly members of this role". So in pg_hba.conf we do not
> granularly specify
>
>       jaki
>
> only
>
>       +gm-logins

Indeed. But one could, just as well.

> so when a GNUmed administrator (having knowledge of the gm-dbo password)
> adds user account "jaki"
>
> 1) this presumably attaches membership to the GNUmed group "gm-doctors" ?

"gm-doctors" is a PostgreSQL group, not a GNUmed group. In fact,
there aren't really any user groups in GNUmed itself so far, except
that GNUmed uses PostgreSQL groups for its purposes.

gm-dbo needs to either manually add jaki to gm-doctors or else
use gm.create_user() to effect that.

> 2) both "jaki" and "gm-doctors" get added to a postgres "control" file
> outside of GNUmed ?

Neither do.

> 3) is it in the GNUmed application, by using python code (or maybe more
> safely table values), that maps to gm-logins ?
>
> 4) is gm-logins a postgres group

Yes.

> that maybe allows
>
>       accounts that are defined (associated) as "doctors" to login

That is the purpose. Only those database accounts which are members
of gm-logins can log into the database. Regardless of whether they are
associated or doctors.

> but maybe will not let gm-dbo login to the GNUmed application?

gm-dbo does not have a GNUmed staff associated with it.