Re: [Gnumed-devel] publicdb.gnumed.de performance

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] publicdb.gnumed.de performance
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:50:25 +0200

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:33:01AM +0200, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

> Initials research indicates that performance is connected to network latency
> rather then speed.
>
> It is a good sign that there are not too many queries but each one is
> affecting performance.

Sure. But we can't cut it down to less than one query. We
are already caching readonly connections (which is the large
majority of our queries) so connection setup time should not
play a measurable role. Be that as it may, psycopg2 has
removed a bunch of useless stuff from connection setup so
that this will be even faster. Unfortunately, the Debian
package maintainer seems to be occupied with other things
for quite a while already failing to provider up to date
packages.

> There are two parts to this. The request time and the payload size.

Payload size should be near negligible AFAICT (and
unavoidable in any case). It'd be good to estimate that
with, say, wireshark though.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de