Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements - adding and abbreviations

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements - adding and abbreviations
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:57:10 -0700

On 2011-08-10, at 9:06 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Because if a triple salute is too much work, how much better
> is a two-key salute ? (say, Ctrl-M or whatever)

A triple salute is three *sets* of two-key actions. In point of fact, to reach
Measurements from the keyboard, we are talking at least

        Alt-E selects EMR menu *

        (Alt ?) A selects Add/Edit menu item

        (maybe here need a right-arrow key)

        (Alt ?) M selects submenu item Medication

        (Alt ?) M selects next submenu item Measurement

        hit "return"

so we are talking at least 5 or 6 steps, assuming ( * at the first step above )
that menus are the first priority and that "Alt E" will not first evoke some
other active letter elsewhere in the window (e.g. on a button _E_dit )

> Another choice (but no less work) would be to use special
> entry rather than control keys: say, when you type $val it
> will let you enter a measurement.

This would be really helpful. Ideally

        $[abbrev]

for example

        $BP

would both evoke the measurement widget and input the BP into the first field
which is "Test"

-- Jim