Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements - adding and abbreviations

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements - adding and abbreviations
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 08:54:45 -0700

On 2011-08-11, at 3:06 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:00:15PM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>
>>> This would be really helpful. Ideally
>>>
>>>     $[abbrev]
>>>
>>> for example
>>>
>>>     $BP
>>>
>>> would both evoke the measurement widget and input the BP into the first
>>> field which is "Test"
>
> What happens if you enter $BPM ?
>
> Karsten

If it can work the way I would envision, then it would wait until the first
space or punctuation before it would respond, it would then open the
measurement widget and input

        BPM

which in my case (being a short code for nothing in my praxis db) would match
nothing. If you imply a user might set up a measurement with an abbreviation of

        BPM

presumably for heart rate) then that is what it would match.

The alternative would be to implement such that it stops short of inputting the
string for the user (since the user could hold off inputting the parameter "BP"
and simply wait til the widget is open). Maybe this is what you intended by way
of "generic" … to allow

        $<string>

to be configured in a way that allows any

        $<specific string>

to call a menu item of the user's preference, if that is manageable enough. If
that were to be the preferred implementation I might for example personally use

        $ms (for "measurement")

which is three keystrokes instead of 6 and (in the alternative) avoids to need
to use the mouse and avoids to lose the time to visually scan the menu system
to locate that which however helpful is buried among many other items. This
would be the alternative to $<val> involving but a single keystroke ($) and the
subsequent string serving to populate the first field of the widget.

-- Jim