Re: [Gnumed-devel] Data packs

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Data packs
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:23:55 -0700

On 2011-08-29, at 12:32 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>> should the menu be renamed
>>
>>      Install / update data pack
>>
>> ??
>
> No. GNUmed does not keep track of installed data packs so it
> does not have any notion of "update".
>
> Each data pack is required to be self-contained.

But as it currently stands, the menu says 'Install" but it is not GNUmed which
makes the decision to run install, this is (via this menu) user-initiated.

Therefore it is completely reasonable that the way that a praxis would update
an already-installed pack would be to re-run a (newer) installer.

Besides, you already answered that

        GNUmed > Master data > Update ATC
        GNUmed > Master data > Update LOINC

are to be subsumed under

        Install

so it may as well be

        Install / update data pack

even as we know the data pack script is going to eventually need to be smart
enough to add vs update existing vs how to "obsolete" previously-installed
reference data.

-- Jim