Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release Candidate 1.0.rc3

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release Candidate 1.0.rc3
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 17:44:34 -0700

I really do think that the uniqueness of

        ref.consumable_substances

on units should be case-insensitive -- made unique on UPPER() or lower().

It is otherwise too easy to have multiple instances of the same substance,
based on non-standard usages for example drug strengths of

        3 grams

which are formatted in upper-case-only drug info sources as

        3 G

when a data pack may have already provided these in a tidy and consistent (and
correct)

        3 g

I know… a person is unlikely to go to the trouble to create such redundancy
manually, however when they would access an external reference (like FreeDiams)
this is easy to do semi-automatically.

-- Jim