Re: [Gnumed-devel] Tab order within Demographics plugin

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Tab order within Demographics plugin
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:04:31 +0000

On 2011-11-10, at 12:28 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> I don't care either way but I don't want to change it now
> and change it again in a few months w/o more than someone
> feeling like it should be different.

I am happy to post this back onto the list.

I have no difficulty with any proposal that changing things should require some
reasonably high threshold or 'warrant' to make the change.

You are likely right in your recollection that GNUmed's current configuration
may be precisely what I myself had asked for.

I do not feel sensitive to my proposal being construed as (possibly) a whim.
There is rarely any talk on the list of what is either meeting, or not quite
meeting, people's needs so if I am the only one asking and no one else is
responding then you (Karsten) are stuck with trying to make a best judgement
decision. If you agree, or if you do not much care either way (and the work is
not too much) of what I ask, you may decide 'sure' and otherwise not.

Just so you know, some of the changeability in my requests comes from the
difference between
- (initially) my anticipation of what may be desirable vs
- (subsequently) my experience in using it

and the fact that currently the relative position is the only way to govern
which one is shown when loading the plug-in.

I continue to expect that the *front desk* will more often want the contacts to
be the pane that appear within demographics, because that will more often be
what they need.

Doctors on the other hand (and therefore myself, in my own usage) will more
often need the identity information when interacting with other doctors,
hospitals, insurers.

A better solution to an arbitrary change in tab *order* would be to permit a
per-user / per workplace preference storing which, among the {Contacts /
Identity / Social network} tabs would be evoked when first setting focus on the
plug-in (after which, within any one patient, it remains on that pane until
changed).

Would you know of a way to do that? If yes, then I would still shift Identity
to left-most, as the most fundamental attribute.

-- Jim