Re: [Gnumed-devel] Encoding (viewing) on Mac OS

From: Nicolas Barbier
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Encoding (viewing) on Mac OS
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 23:36:55 +0100

2011/11/15 Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>:

> They already *are* UTF8 -- because for all relevant
> characters utf8 and latin1 overlap (unless I am mistaken).

Latin 1 (= ISO 8859-1) and Unicode overlap in such a way (see the
table in [1], the description of the block that starts at 00C0).
However, when using UTF-8 as the Unicode encoding, the bytes used to
represent those codes are not the same.

[1] <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_characters_in_Unicode>

For example: “é” (small e with acute), has code E9 in both Latin 1 and
Unicode. UTF-8 encodes that number as C3 A9 (i.e., two bytes), whereas
Latin 1 just encodes it as the single byte E9. A UTF-8 file containing
that symbol, interpreted as UTF-8, would yield “é” (capital A with
tilde + copyright sign).

Nicolas

--
A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion.
Q. Why is top posting bad?