[Gnumed-devel] Printer /Scanner for GNUmed

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Printer /Scanner for GNUmed
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 07:32:27 +0100

Hi all,

Just for reference (unfortunately I don't get paid for this :-) ). If anyone
is looking for a printer and / or scanner that can be used with GNUmed I
suggest to have a look at the Canon Pixma 870MX. It is a all in one (fax,
scanner, print) device with ADF (automatic document feeder, duplex capable)
that works nicely on Linux. There are Linux drivers available as Ubuntu
(should work on Debian) which enable CUPS to detect it as a network printer
and scanner (print and scan from any desktop) in your office. Scanning is done
transparently through Xsane (via SANE).

I have successfully used the GNUmed document plugin to aquire images
I have yet to try the supposedly supported duplex scanning feature.

Good to see that Linux is finally getting some support on the hardware front.

[1] http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2011/06/download-install-canon-printer-
driver.html