Re: [Gnumed-devel] gender symbols hard-coded in gmPerson functions

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gender symbols hard-coded in gmPerson functions
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:44:23 +0200 (CEST)

> > > When importing data to Gnumed I had no gender data, so tried to add a
> > > record for 'u' as 'unknown' to dem.gender_label and then use this tag
> > > in clin.identity.gender.
> >
> > I would suggest setting the gender to "h" for the time being.
>
> That's exactly what I did. I just wanted to point out that it should be
> addressed in future versions. Due to producing unhandled exceptions
> you may consider it a bug.

I do understand your reasoning and your desire to not have it throw
an exception.

Hover, for one thing GNUmed is not intended to handle an
unknown gender.

Then, if a (reference) value is added to the backend and the client
code is not told how to map that I don't think it is much wonder it
don't know how to map that :-)

Sure, GNUmed could more *gracefully* handle this situation - but
for sure it does handle the situation in a way that clearly tells
the user that there's something abysmally wrong.

There's no conceptual difference in GNUmed showing the user a
pretty window saying "Aw, it seems there's a gender I did't know
about" and the exception handler. Both are the same with different
degrees of prettiness.