Re: [Gnumed-devel] Demo data

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Demo data
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 17:14:37 +0000

On 2013-06-02, at 7:08 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> bootstrapping w/o the demo data is not *that*
> easy to achieve - it is either all or nothing. Just removing
> some or all of the obvious test data files in the early
> bootstrapping process will lead to errors later on during
> the process because that will add some data which hasn't
> been separated out (and can thus not as easily be removed
> from the process) which depends on the earlier data to be
> available.

Maybe the following is wrong, but I would expect updates/upgrades to do the
following

1) alter the database structure (adding, modifying or dropping tables and
columns) and adding, modifying or dropping constraints) and
2) modify certain existing data in order to fix errors or to permit the
alterations of data structure in (1)

It is possible that the lines of code which attempt to alter existing data do
so WHERE a condition is true, and where the absence of data need not induce
failure.

It is also possible that certain commands will attempt to alter *all* data of a
certain kind. Maybe, as you suggest, the bootstrapper will fail. However, since
the failure will occur as part of an attempt to create a mostly-empty database,
after the dbadmin had first disabled the import of various test files, the
point of failure should be simply enough detectable from the logs and inform
any appropriate adjustments to the bootstrapper, yes?

-- Jim