Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements - lessons from other EMRs - limiting the

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements - lessons from other EMRs - limiting the amount of lab data fetched
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 19:36:44 +0000

On 2013-07-17, at 3:31 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:57:30PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:
>
>> I have been worrying about the case where GNUmed
>> accumulates a large amount of measurements per patient.
>> Querying and reporting every test that a patient has has
>> would slow things down
>
>       http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
>
> Karsten

Why do I have the feeling that the above URL is among your favourite bookmarks,
and that you enjoy to share it from time to time? ;-)

It matters here whether what is here contended as premature is

{observing what others who are ahead of has done, and which has created for
them problems; conceptualizing and contemplating; thinking ahead} -- which is
also known in some circles as planning --

or just

{spending time to work out a design and implement it when it is not *yet*
warranted}

In case the reply was meant to include the former,

1) it currently takes me more than 20-25 seconds from the time I insert a
unique patient name in the search box, and having displayed for me the unique
patient

2) while, admittedly, performance should be faster if I was not running in
'debug' mode, and maybe if I were running GNUmed under a native graphics
display rather than through X11, I am -- OTOH -- running the database locally
on my 1 year old MacBook Pro, and surely some of the speed gains that would be
achieved by running NOT in debug mode, in a native GUI, would be offset if I
should have to fetch the data off a server?

so I want us to be ready and to have already thought of some of what we need to
take into account.

-- JIm