Re: [Gnumed-devel] Medication lists - Corrections vs Changes

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Medication lists - Corrections vs Changes
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 21:44:46 +0000

On 2013-07-11, at 10:38 AM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote in part:

> truly, if GNUmed is to be an EMR, it has to keep available in the *clinical*
> tables (and not in the audit tables) the clinically-useful records of what
> has happened to the patient. Therefore we really must evolve
>
>       Current substance intake
>
> into
>
>       Substance intake history
>
> wherein, at any one time, some substances may be active and others inactive.
>
> I am not here talking about a "Prescription writer".

I think this thread did not yet get commented on. The full posting is archived
at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2013-07/msg00099.html but the
point and question remains

… why can't we remove the constraint which prevents for a single patient to
have, in clin.substance_intake, more than one row with the same clin.substance,
thereby allowing both:

1) to support the reality where the patient is taking two or more forms of a
substance at the same time and

2) to support to be able to keep, in the medications table, previous dosages of
a substance which are currently 'inactive' ?

Yes, I know that if more than one row of a substance has the status of being
'active' at the same time, then this offers some risk.

However the following are all clinical realities, where a patient takes

- a particular strength in a blister pack, and that same strength 'on the side'
from a bottle
        (I confess not the best example, but read on …)

- and / or the same strength, in two forms

        1) a strength of an ace inhibitor that is combined with a diuretic

            (combined, when the diuretic is already a max dose, with)

        2) a dosage increment using the same strength of ace inhibitor
mono-substance tablet

- and / or two different strengths (say, warfarin 5 mg and 2 mg tablets)

BTW  am I somehow escaping what was preferred to be a constraint, because I am
able to put a patient on

        hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg daily (as unbranded substance)
+
        hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg daily (as part of a combination branded drug)

?

--> The latter means that even while we work out acceptable constraints, we do
-- even *now* already -- need an additional medication display sort order,
which should IMO by default be

        Substance   Strength   Schedule   Started   Duration/Until   Brand
Health issue (or episode)  OK?

-- Jim