Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 1.4 on Mac OS 10.6 - natively !

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 1.4 on Mac OS 10.6 - natively !
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 18:12:31 +0000

On 2013-11-04, at 8:05 AM, Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> It did
> not ask for the postgres password. I think I need to play with the config
> file
> or reconfigure postgresql.

Two reasons why bootstrapping can fail on Mac OS:

1. failure of Mac OS to support

        su -c

        as per this list posting

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2011-04/msg00033.html

        Karsten had indicated that he had since made the relevant files to only
use "su -c" when not on Mac OS X however maybe this did not het committed, or
may have since been dropped? See
        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2011-04/msg00055.html

and in the meantime the sections that depend on su -c need commenting out in

        bootstrap-latest.sh
        upgrade_db.sh

2. Also, when the user did not establish a .pgpass file to automatically
provide the postgres password as per

        http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/libpq-pgpass.html

        #password

needs uncommenting in these conf files listed in bootstrap-latest.conf:

        bootstrap-local_first.conf
        bootstrap-monolithic_core.conf

        update_db-v2_v3.conf
        update_db-v3_v4.conf
        update_db-v4_v5.conf
        update_db-v5_v6.conf
        update_db-v6_v7.conf
        update_db-v7_v8.conf
        update_db-v8_v9.conf
        update_db-v9_v10.conf
        update_db-v10_v11.conf
        update_db-v11_v12.conf
        update_db-v12_v13.conf
        update_db-v13_v14.conf
        update_db-v14_v15.conf
        update_db-v15_v16.conf
        update_db-v16_v17.conf
        update_db-v17_v18.conf
        update_db-v18_v19.conf

and I did not yet think to uncomment the occurrences in the various

        fixup_db-v10 … v18

.conf files -- which perhaps I will need to do.

Except this would not explain why my own bootstrap failed at trying to update
v6 --> v7.

-- Jim