Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstraping v19 without starting from v2

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstraping v19 without starting from v2
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 13:19:06 +0100

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:39:45AM +0100, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

Putting aside the obvious question: Why would a user fu*ing
care how his database comes about ?

> Let's think about a new user who has never created a database. Going from db
> v2 to v19 (currently) is a process that should result in exactly the same
> outcome as restoring a proper dump of a v19 database and users.

Assuming a dump of a freshly bootstrapped v19 is restored, yes.

> Would it be possible to let a user *bootstrap* a v19 database or any later
> database if this is a first time installation ?

I don't understand the question.

> This would mean to combine all
> bootstrap step from previous upgrades into one step ?

That is the way it works right now.

> Is there a technical issue why one would always go from v2 instead of
> starting
> off with v19 ?

You mean restoring an appropriate v19 dump ?

I don't see much of a problem with that except
that some checks won't get run on the database
environment and possibly some settings will
not be applied to the final database. Both
checks and settings can be applied after the
fact, however. For settings there even is
a script to do so.

> Given the relatively modest userbase I wonder if this could be attempted
> sooner then later.

To what benefit ?

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de