Re: [Gnumed-devel] Restoring a database under Debian

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Restoring a database under Debian
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 15:42:51 +0000

On 2015-01-15, at 12:14 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> replied:

>> my wheezy VM had never had a password set for system user postgres, which I
>> therefore set with
>>
>>      passwd postgres
>
> "postgres" is is not supposed to have any password on Debian.
> In fact, that is one of the defences against anyone actually
> logging in as postgres. Root can always become "postgres"
> without need for a password.

Would there be case where database support personnel who is trusted with sudo
access (but not root) would be unable to fully enough become "postgres" thus
necessitating to assign a password to postgres in order that the support
personnel can do what may be necessary?

And since I do not have such support personnel, is there anyway to revoke
("unset") having set a password on a system account?

> But postgres won't have any permissions to look inside the
> parent paths (/root/gnumed). That's why the default is
> /tmp/gnumed :-)

This default "is" (or would best be set by users) to be

        /tmp/gnumed

where … in the restore conf?

-- Jim