gnump3d-devel

Re: [Gnump3d-devel] Rencoding/Quality Adjustments

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-devel] Rencoding/Quality Adjustments
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:17:33 +0100

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:28:27PM -0600, Jerry Haltom wrote:

> Gnump3d needs to support reencoding Mp3's at a lower bitrate than their
> original files. Same with oggs.

  Ummm .. it does.

  As of one of the early 2.x versions.

  Please see the `downsampling` options in the configuration file.

  I know that there was a recent patch just before the last release
 which added some options for controlling this by IP address.  These
 are not documented yet.  I've sent the same mail to at least ten
 people!

  I will update the site on Wednesday when I get back from London,
 to include this and a short piece I found about running the server
 behind a NAT firewall.

> This can be accomplished by streaming through ogg123/oggenc and
> mpg123/lame, etc. Yeah this is a bit platform dependent, but it should
> be possible.

  This is exactly how it works.  For each filetype you care about you
 can stream through an arbitary application.  eg. lame for mp3s, and
 oggenc for oggs.

  You could even convert .flacs to mp3s if you wished!

Steve
---
Edinburgh System Administrator : Linux, UNIX, Windows
Looking for an interesting job : http://www.steve.org.uk/