gnump3d-devel

[Gnump3d-devel] Playlist & Stream info

From: Ross Mohn
Subject: [Gnump3d-devel] Playlist & Stream info
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:25:30 -0500

Hi all,
I have a submission that makes the "info" link work for *.m3u style playlists. I also use it to provide a "more info" link for Streaming Media playlists.

Here's how it works. If a file is identified as a playlist by the info plugin, it looks for m3u style comments and displays the information found there. Here is the "official" format of an m3u comment:

#EXTINF:NNN,Comment

Where NNN is the song duration in seconds.

I've also taken the liberty to extend this format so that you can add an http link to click on for more information about a stream (If anyone knows of a more "standard" format for this, please let me know!). I use this often as I have a "Radio Stations" subdirectory where I keep "playlists" of links to streams. Streams are identified by putting "-1" for the song duration. Here is the format:

#EXTINF:-1,Radio station name:http://www.radiostation.com/schedule.html

and here's a real example:

Filename: WFMU.m3u
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,WFMU - The Freeform Station of the Nation:http://wfmu.org/
http://mp3stream.wfmu.org:8008/wfmu.ogg

I'd like to submit diff files for /usr/bin/gnump3d2 and /usr/lib/gnump3d/gnump3d/plugins/info.pm unless others feel these are inappropriate features. Shall I attach them to an email to this list, or is there a better way?

Thanks! -Ross
--
Ross Mohn
address@hidden