gnump3d-devel

Re: [Gnump3d-devel] Backend Database

From: Stuffed Crust
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-devel] Backend Database
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:32:02 -0500

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 08:54:21AM -0000, address@hidden wrote:
> In the archive there is a message from back in 2004 where someone was
> suggesting a database backend.  Steve raised some valid concerns about
> why he did not want to use it.  However it may be time to reconsider
> it.  I personally have over 30,000+ titles in my library and gnump3d
> can get pretty slow, like 45 seconds to load a page and a dual
> processor machine with 4-GBytes of memory (there is a normal baseline
> load on the server).

The speed problem you're reporting sounds like you don't have
tag caching turned on at all.

in /etc/gnump3d/gnump3d.conf, make sure you have:

        tag_cache = /var/cache/gnump3d/song.tags
        disable_tag_cache = 0

(Run gnump3d-indexer if you don't have the cache file!)

How many files in this 45-second page load time?  How many files?  I can
load 100-track pages in two seconds, The worst-case test I could come up
involved a page containing 1100 directories, and that loaded in 25
seconds, 7 seconds on an immediate forced refresh.  (All of these tests
went out over the public internet via a slow cable modem; on my home
network it would be even faster!)

On my server, my cache file contains 132,191 tracks.  The memory
footprint of gnump3d is about 200MB, and runs on a dual 900MHz P3.

Note that switching to a database backend will actually reduce overall
performance for tag lookups (compared to the built-in tagcache), but
drastically reduce the in-memory footprint and make proper searches much
faster.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                         pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL                          ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^