gnump3d-users

Re: [Gnump3d-users] password doesn't work

From: Ross Mohn
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] password doesn't work
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:53:00 -0500

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 04:25:53PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> This function was taken out in gnump3d v3. I guess the docs just weren't
> updated. I've been running v2.9final because I want to keep password
> functionality, but I'd gladly update if FLAC support was added.

FLAC has always been supported in gnump3d. The problem you're probably
having is that FLAC is not a streaming protocol, so clients will
generally download the entire file before beginning to play it (if your
client supports it at all!)

You can get FLAC to stream if you're willing to use gnump3d's
downsampling feature. Here's one way to do it:

1) Install ffmpeg if it isn't already. It's available here:
http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/

2) In file /etc/gnump3d/file.types there should already be the line:
flac = audio

3) In file /etc/gnump3d/mime.types remove the line:
application/x-flac  flac

and replace it with the line:
application/ogg  flac

4) In the file /etc/gnump3d/gnump3d.conf enable default downsampling:
default_quality = medium

and define the following 3 lines for FLAC downsampling:
downsample_high_flac   = ffmpeg -i $FILENAME -acodec vorbis -f ogg -ac 2 -ab
96k -
downsample_medium_flac = ffmpeg -i $FILENAME -acodec vorbis -f ogg -ac 2 -ab
64k -
downsample_low_flac    = ffmpeg -i $FILENAME -acodec vorbis -f ogg -ac 2 -ar
22050 -ab 32k -

Of course, you may choose other bitrates for the -ab option to suit your
desires.

Cheers!
-RPM