Re: [GNUnet-developers] Patch for network load measurement

From: Hendrik Pagenhardt
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Patch for network load measurement
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:59:14 +0100

After testing my code with bandwidth limitations far below my upstream
capacity I found that GNUnet uses to much bandwidth with my new code.
Probably that's why the more pessimistic estimates were implemented. I
spent some time now looking through the parts of the source which
implement the bandwidth allocation strategy I concluded the following:

- Downstream network load is nowhere used in the code to control
anything (only gnunet-stats). Maybe it could be used to tell peers to
reduce the amount of data sent when its over the limit. Or did I miss a
place were downstream bandwidth control is implemented?

- Upstream control works be looking at the load and then decide whether
a message of a certain priority can be sent. If the priority is greater
than 2500 it is always sent. I don't know whether is is an unusual high
priority, but it seems suspect.

- For the upstream control to work effectively it needs a momentous
value estimation of the load. Moving averages are probably not very
suited for the current policy implementation.

I have a few more ideas to make the bandwidth usage more effective and
more predictable, but I will spend some more time trying to understand
the current code before posting more unneeded patches.

Ciao,
     Hendrik