Re: [GNUnet-developers] Miscellaneous Ideas

From: Alexander Winston
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Miscellaneous Ideas
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 02:03:43 -0500

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 11:35 -0500, Christian Grothoff wrote:

> On Friday 26 March 2004 20:16, Alexander Winston wrote:
> > I've put together a really short hodgepodge list of things that I would
> > love to see in the future:
> >
> > * Complete GTK+ 2 or GNOME 2 interface (possibly something like eMule,
> > aMule, or G2gui, though not a direct clone like those try to be)
>
> What's wrong with gnunet-gtk?

It's a bit sparse. (I hope I am not stepping on any toes too hard!)
Being GTK+ 1 doesn't really allow for all the cool GTK+ 2 features like
better Unicode support, internationalization/localization, accessibility
(not so sure on this one, though), and "fitting in" with the current
GNOME (or KDE, etc.) desktop apps. I think that taking a cue from
GNOME's Human Interface Guidelines or "borrowing" (hey, it's
encouraged!) a .glade file from a core GNOME application would work
total wonders.

Another option is poking Mr. Seth Nickell in his tummy until he writes a
GUI for us. ;-)

> > * "GNU-style" --help format (like ls --help, sha1sum --help, et al.)
>
> I'm not sure I understand -- for me gnunetd --help looks rather similar to ls
> --help (ok, we have fewer options ;-).  We're trying to stick to GNU
> conventions, could you be more specific? (This is something that should be
> trivial to fix).

Sorry for not being more descriptive beforehand. It does indeed look
like a cinch to fix. See how the "ls --help" output is sorted
alphabetically based on the short options and seems to be indented by
two spaces on the left, except for the explanatory "paragraphs"? Please
note the distinct lack of colons. :-)

Also, sort of on a related note, could the number of binaries be trimmed
down? Almost two dozen is a lot. :-) For instance, as a start, could
gnunet-directory-* and gnunet-pseudonym-* be merged? (Not into one,
though---I mean into two separate applications.)

> > * Addition of eDonkey2000, Overnet, BitTorrent, DirectConnect, and
> > FastTrack to the protocol comparison at
> > <http://www.ovmj.org/GNUnet/faq.php3#compare>
>
> I've extended the list a bit.

Awesome! Thank you, Christian!

> Let me know if you find any inaccuracies...

I think that eDonkey2000 uses MD4 instead of SHA and I think that
FastTrack may use keywords, too. (I can't quite remember how KaZaA
worked way back when I was a Windows user.) :-)