Re: [GNUnet-developers] A new ECRS?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] A new ECRS?
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:23:41 -0700

On Friday 09 September 2005 04:06, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, thanks for this brand new release!  I'm looking forward to
> giving it a try.
>
> In the announcement available on the web page, you mention that "data is
> encoded with the new ECRS encoding algorithm".  However, the link there
> points to the original ECRS paper which is not so new.  So what exactly
> happened with ECRS?  Is it that the previous versions did not actually
> implement what the paper describes?  Or is that the new encoding
> algorithm is not yet documented?

It is documented in the linked paper.  Note that ECRS != ESED, which was the
previous (2001) paper.  There are some significant differences, some of which
were implemented as part of the "ESED2" change, but the big changes were done
afterwards.  The ECRS paper was mostly finished in 2004 (the text was
polished even more recently -- during the summer of 2005), but actually
implementing KBlocks, flexible meta-data, 32k DBlocks, 64-bit file size and
all of the other features took a bit longer ;-).

So, unless "not so new" refers to the text from 2004, I would have to disagree
with that statement.  And considering the scope of the changes in
retrospective, it is not surprising that it took about a year after the
design was complete to get it all working.

Christian