Re: [GNUnet-developers] Re: GNUnet: adding libnotify support for gnunet-

From: Michael Donaghy
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Re: GNUnet: adding libnotify support for gnunet-gtk.
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 23:04:51 +0100

On Sunday 02 April 2006 18:48, Benjamin Paul Kay wrote:
> On Sunday 02 April 2006 12:27, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Nicklas send me the attached patch and e-mails, and I wonder adding
> > libnotify support to gnunet-gtk is the right thing to do.  There are two
> > points to this:
> > a) is it really a useful feature? would you want pop-ups that tell you
> > that a download has finished? What if there are dozens of such
> > notifications in a matter of minutes? What should we notify for (just
> > downloads? uploads? search results!??)

I'd say just downloads, since that's all the user's likely to care about.
(Well, and search results, but they happen so quickly and there are so many
it doesn't make sense to use notifications).

> > b) is libnotify the right way to do it?  or maybe the extra dependency is
> > not worth it?  make it an optional feature if libnotify is present
> > (complicating configure and build and source code)? are there other ways
> > to do it (I mean, we can certainly open pop-up windows using GTK
> > directly) -- so what is the distinct advantage of doing notifications
> > with libnotify in this context?

Hopefully doing it the Standard Way should mean that we respect the user's
settings for pop-up notifications?  Consistency is good.

> Also, notification popups
> should have a reasonable lifetime (like the Mozilla Firefox "Downloads
> Complete" notification) so that the user doesn't have to manually close
> them.

Shouldn't libnotify handle all that?