[GNUnet-developers] Reporting gnunetd status in GUIs

From: Milan Bouchet-Valat
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Reporting gnunetd status in GUIs
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:39:32 +0200

In gnunet-gtk, we have a problem as regards updating the status of
gnunetd (stopped, disconnected, connected): we need to wait for the
stats cron job to happen to update the connexion count. And when gnunetd
is started/stopped, even the daemon plugin needs some time to update.

Nils, how do you solve this in gnunet-qt? I can see at least a way to
improve this: when start/stop is triggered, we can reduce the intervals
between two checks until the awaited status change occurs. But then, we
need the daemon plugin to update the view, which is currently managed by
the stats plugin. So this would require putting the status display code
into gnunet-gtk core - not horrible though...

Else it could be worth adding some mechanism in gnunetd that will make
it announce to the clients when it is about to stop, i.e. just before
terminating (after all the shutdown process has been performed).

What do you think?