Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 15:41:22 +0100

Rust implementation of GNUnet utils

Improve the Rust implementation of GNUnet utils, possibly including
adding support for asynchronous IO using mio, or perhaps a higher level
asynchronous IO library built upon it, such as rotor, mioco,
eventual_io, or gj.

Mentors: Jeff Burdges

Notes:  We'd some discussion with Andrew Cann <address@hidden> on
this list previously about his initial implementation
https://github.com/canndrew/gnunet-rs  which currently uses threads.

Tor compatibility for GNUnet

Implement the AnycastExit spec to enable GNUnet clients to connect over
Tor.

Mentors: Jeff Burdges

Note : There was a Special TLDs spec to allow tor to resolve domain
names using GNS over Tor too, but currently that's on hold until folks
think more about how names should be moved around the local system.
 We're calling this more collaborative approach NSS2 for now.

Android compatibility for GNUnet

Implement rudimentary Android compatibility for GNUnet, in part by
porting the GNUnet utils scheduler to act as a thin wrapper over libuv.

Mentors: Jeff Burdges and surely Christian Grothoff

Auto-pay tokens in Taler

Implement the auto-pay tokens specification for Taler.  Intended to
help Tor users circumvent CloudFlare CAPTCHAs with CloudFlare's
eventual cooperation.

Mentors: Jeff Burdges

Note : Spec is not currently written, but the ideas were hashed out with care,
so it should be ready well before the summer.  Possibly restricted to students
with previous development experience that gives either the Tor or GNUnet
community confidence in their understanding of security issues.

Tokenized Tor exit

Implement a Tor exit gateway that uses Taler tokens.  Intended to help Tor
users circumvent CloudFlare CAPTCHAs without CloudFlare's eventual cooperation.

Mentors: Jeff Burdges

Notes : Really needs auto-pay tokens first.  Probably not sufficiently well
defined for 2016, so more 2017.  Not necessarily even that great an idea.  ;)

Store integration for Taler merchants

Implement Taler payment support for an open source web store, such as
   Magento(.com), oscommerce(.com), opencart(.com),
   spreecommerce(.com), prestashop(.com), virtuemart(.net),
   ubercart(.org) zeuscart(.com), afcommerce(.com), zen-cart(.com),
   simplecartjs(.com), or tomatocard(.com).

Mentors: Marcello Stanisci

On Mon, 2016-02-15 at 08:51 +0100, Christian Grothoff wrote:

> Implementation of a replacement for PANDA
>
> Implementation of a replacement for PANDA (see Pond) with better
> security, and maybe integration with the GNU Name System for key
> exchange.
>
> Mentors: Jeff Burdges

I suppose this still makes sense.  Actually we know slightly more now.