Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC

From: Martin Schanzenbach
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 13:06:42 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 2016-02-26 at 13:04 +0200, Daniel Golle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to share my thoughts on two of the proposed GSoC topics for
> while, now finally I remebered it in the right moment ;)
>
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:53:56AM +0100, Martin Schanzenbach wrote:

> > > [...]
> > I already started a REST plugin framework and a handful of APIs for
> > my
> > own use. If you have requirements for a specific set of APIs from
> > GNUnet then it would be good if you could file a bug report so we
> > can
> > keep track of what is needed first. Moving the _whole_ GNUnet API
> > REST with a well designed HTTP-style API and good documentation
> > should
> > be the goal of this GSoC. The task is not very
> > sophisticated/innovative
> > but a nice exercise in SE and API design and it's a great way to
> > get to
> > know what GNUnet does, and how, I think.
> Why are you specifying it to HTTP-based at all?
> I believe a *re-usable* JSON-RPC, which could either be accessed via
> HTTP but just as well using a local socket or existing message-
> passing
> systems like ubus, dbus, ... would be better and avoid duplicate
> work.
> From the OpenWrt-perspective, integration with OpenWrt's ubus would
> be
> great and could work with the same JSON API as for REST -- just that
> there is no need for HTTP.

I see. The idea is to have a standardized interface with common
conventions to allow application developers to develop an application
and not implement a protocol client for a specific JSON-RPC definition
(http://bikeshed.org/). If you have a JSON API implementation it just
works and you do not have to worry about connection details. Btw I also
disagree: message handlers like dbus are not restful. If you try to
make them restful you will lose all the good parts like notifications.
Tbh I would rather teach the message handler client (dbus-gnunet/ubus-
gnunet) to speak with the GNUnet REST API than have those messaging
systems relay JSON-RPC calls. This completely missed the point of the
message bus. I also do not see the advantage of dbus over HTTP in this
case. Why would you implement a JSON-RPC on top of dbus if you could
simply use dbus messages? Sounds like overkill.
Maybe I am missing the point?
What I do not want is that application developers have to write yet
another API client (for my JSON-RPC calls) that they can use over
REST/dbus/ubus instead of directly _using_ standard message formats
_like_ jsonapi/dbus/ubus for which implementations already exist and
there are people who already use and understand them.

- Martin