Re: [GNUnet-developers] a solution for integrated package definitions; g

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] a solution for integrated package definitions; gnurl and the copyrights
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 23:46:56 +0100

I do not see the copyright assignment apply to gnurl in any way, it
would not help anyway as (1) it is questionable that our changes to curl
are even copyrightable, and (2) the copyrights clearly are with the curl
devs, so we would not succeed at centralizing anyway.  Finally, the
issues pEp/Taler has are primarily with strong copyleft code (*), and
curl/gnurl are weak copyleft.  Hence, we also have no _need_ for this
for curl/gnurl anyway, as far as I can see.

(*) For example, Apple appstore forbids GPL, but AFAIK not LGPL. Hence
GNUnet being GPL is an issue for a pEp/GNUnet-to-iOS port.  Also, Taler
Systems may want to make some code for merchants available under LGPL,
and libgnunetutil is currently GPL. curl's license has no impact here.