Re: [GNUnet-developers] Proposal: Make GNUnet Great Again?

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Proposal: Make GNUnet Great Again?
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2019 21:22:40 +0100

> On 9. Feb 2019, at 20:32, Amirouche Boubekki <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I think splitting the codebase will be a pain for gnunet.
>
> The only good reasons for manyrepos are social or ego politics "this is my
> lawn" or legal. The only one that applies to gnunet is legal because one
> needs to fill a gnu form to be able to contribute.
>
> I am biased toward monorepo by experience dealing with big project (100k+
> SLOC) and the only time it made sens to split the project into many
> repositories because it was different teams / workflow (social) and different
> legal terms for the various services/daemons, at previous $WORK, they had to
> fork gentoo to make it work.
>
> Otherwise, each time I saw another repository it was a source of pain:
>
> - Need to manage several versions

Why? Are you talking about packaging?

> - git submodule workflow is not good enough, it doesn't track branch, I
> personally I never remember how to know the branch of a commit, plus it
> requires some more git-fu to bump the submodule.

What? If you have a separate repo for e.g. the File-Sharing component of
GNUnet. Then if you test it, you would pull the current, tested version of the
GNUnet base (e.g. through the use of a docker image in gitlab-ci) and test your
code.
In master/HEAD you do not care about versions and we certainly should not use
git submodules for that.

> - refactoring anyone?

Refactoring what? Why would you refactor (often) between something like
filesharing and the base gnunet components?

> - generally speaking manyrepos at small scale is more work
>
> And again, it requires somehow to track down every versions (what works with
> what) and you end up with another repository (or distribution) with another
> build system that puts everything together. Continuous Integration can do
> that? Where is the code of the CI? Another repo? More versions, more git
> clone more grep across repositories / directories not even in sync.

I think you (and to some degree also grothoff) fundamentally misunderstand my
argument. I am not proposing to put every component in
gnunet/src/ into a separate repo. That would be crazy.
I am proposing to separate components which have clearly disjunct use cases
from the basic functionality and other use case components.
The arguments why this is reasonable are laid out by me in this thread from
both a development and packaging/user perspective.

> Popularity arguments:
>
> a) Ok, everybody know GAFAM love monorepos and that is a also a source of
> pain (dedicated team and software). That said, gnunet is not the size of any
> GAFAM, hence it will not suffer from monorepo pain points.

This actually reflects a core problem that hasn't even been discussed, yet:
What is "gnunet"?
Is gnunet everything from file sharing to a social network to a digital
identity management system? Or is gnunet a framework; a vehicle which allows us
to build such applications. If it is the latter, then it should be
compartmentalised as such as soon as enough applications are built. _I_ think
this point has been reached.

> b) Github and Javascript made the manyrepos popular for various ego reasons
> and because JavaScript is not good. I won't take inspiration from that part
> of the JavaScript noosphere. gnunet-leftpad anyone?
>
> c) Now, there is GNOME. GNOME is famous for its bazaar model of development
> and also famous for the adoption of meson (maybe even its inception) or its
> bazaar) success is appealing, gnunet is not GNU or GNOME. From my point of
> view the bazaar development model scales better / more easily in a socially
> distributed setting. Also why Linux is still a single repository?

We should not mix umbrella projects with actual products. Linux is a kernel.
GNOME loosely is a software collection (project) and so is GNU.
I recently commented that some time ago, the gnunet.org homepage stated that
gnunet was a "peer-to-peer framework" (It doesn't anymore).
But that is how I see gnunet. It is a framework. A platform. The base platform
needs generic functionality (where we draw the line on what "basic" is is
obviously a point of discussion). I am arguing that fs, social, reclaim are not
basic functions such a platform needs (or devs need to build applications).
GNUnet can become an umbrella project as well if we can agree on that. Under
this umbrella will exist: The core platform and any app/service that wishes to
share the umbrella project resources (so atm all of them).