Re: [GNUnet-developers] What are the privacy features (or anti-feature)

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] What are the privacy features (or anti-feature) of the gnunet DHT and gnunet fs?
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 15:47:19 +0100

On 3/28/19 4:01 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> I would like to build an application on top the DHT
> and FS. I want to know what are the privacy features.
>
> For instance, can someone know that I downloaded a
> particular file? can someone know that I am sharing
> a particular file?
>
> It seems like search operation is done only with
> anonymous level 0. Does it mean that other people
> on the network can know what I am searching for?

That depends on the anonymity level and, ultimately, how powerful the
adversary is. At a level of 0, you have the least privacy (but at least
your search term is hashed before being transmitted to the DHT...), at
higher levels you use GAP-style anonymous routing and > 1 require cover
traffic to be available.