Re: [GNUnet-developers] Discussion, and Help Wanted: Moving to Gitlab fo

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Discussion, and Help Wanted: Moving to Gitlab for Git, CI, and Issues
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 12:05:01 +0000

Marcos Marado transcribed 2.6K bytes:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2019, 18:20 Florian Dold <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On 4/7/19 6:46 PM, Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
> > > The CAA does not help in any way. You are still liable as a platform. It
> > > has literally nothing to do with the copyright infringements if the
> > > contributor copied code from somewhere else. You cannot delegate this
> > > responsibility anymore to the user. That way the old way of doing it.
> >
> > I am not sure what requirements you are talking about.  Do you have some
> > reference that explains this?  Christian, do you have one?  I would
> > guess we are probably not the only project affected by this.
>
> I am assuming that the "EU regulation" here spoken of is the Copyright Reform,
> in particular Article 13. If that's the case, then “open source
> software development
> and sharing platforms” are explicitly excluded from it[1] (let's see
> how will that be
> transposed into national laws). It is arguable what defines something
> as being an
> "OSS dev & share platform", but I think it is fair to assume that a
> gitlab instance
> run and maintained by GNUnet e.V. and with the purpose of hosting only free
> software would qualify.
>
> > It sounds like you're suggesting that we should have a core team of
> > developers in official capacity for GNUnet e.V. to look at pull requests
> > and then say "we think that this doesn't infringe on copyright" and
> > merge them in.  Is that what you're saying?
>
> If the OSS exemption didn't exist, this wouldn't be enough: those
> within the core
> team would need the tools to validate copyright infringement on each commit,
> instead of a simple "I looked at it and, after a cursory glance, I
> don't think it
> infringes any copyright".

This sounds pretty much like something EU should pay for, because
without being able to go into details (for obvious reasons), the ways
to analyze code out there in a way which satisfies the industry
are endless and require almost as much resources.
Imo we simply don't have the resources to fullfil this in GNUnet
unless someone comes up with something pre-made we can use. To
be quiet honest, this is a problem which affects Free and Open Source
software at large, so to expect a complete check of every line of
code for possible infringement must be automated. I don't want
us to grow but at the same time slow down with each and every new
committer.
I do get that the eV is responsible, but there ought to be a different
way.