[GNUnet-developers] Learning progress so far.

From: Olie Ayre
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Learning progress so far.
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 18:29:42 +0000

Hello everyone,

I've spent the last few days seeing if I can setup GNUnet on my laptop. Up until
now I've been fairly successful. I've got it installed and have some basic
config. I can start and stop services and I've been spending some time
occasionally just watching the graphs. Been mostly getting network sizes around
5-15 most of the time, but haven't ran it for very long in one go. Had a
wonderful moment on Thursday evening when the network size soared to 400 too.

I'm currently at the part in the documentation where I'm setting up the config
for GNS (currently looking at 4.7.27.6). Not making my own zones and working
with
them, just getting the GNS proxy and the NSS plugin working. I made the change
/etc/nsswitch.conf and that didn't seem to break anything, and I've setup the
GNS
proxy CA and made the test zone as in the docs. Where I'm stuck though is with
getting Firefox setup for the proxy and getting the proxy running properly.

Firefox gives me the "server not found" page when visiting
https://homepage.test.
I suspect the problem is at the gns-proxy end, but I want to be sure I have
Firefox setup correctly. I have the socks port on 7777 and the remote_dns option
on true. I'm not sure what I need to have 'network.proxy.socks' set to though.

The first thing I probably want to tackle is the gns proxy. I can start it with
`gnunet-arm -i gns-proxy` and it shows up with `gnunet-arm -I` so it's running.
I'm not sure where to go from there. I've attached my gnunet config file and a
'worklog' that I've been using to track my thought process as I've been working
through the whole thing. Everything about the proxy and GNS is in the 2 most
recent "sessions".

Another thing I've been wondering about is logs. In the config file I set a
logdir and used the postfix to apply that log file as described in the docs, but
that directory was never created so I have no clue where to find the logs.

Aside from that, I've tried to make the worklog useful by adding in questions
and
suggestions and so on. I hope it can be of use to people working on
documentation
as I've tried to highlight what things I thought were unclear or had further
questions about. I'll be continuously adding to it as I go through setting up
and
using more parts of GNUnet.

Cheers,
Olie.