Re: unsuitable protocols and standards that block innovation

From: MSavoritias
Subject: Re: unsuitable protocols and standards that block innovation
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 10:12:20 +0200

On 3/14/24 09:56, Sahil wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I was trying to wrap my head around
this.
I mean, do XMPP message and IQ stanzas really provide a lot
more than what bare XML would do? Also, isn't the industry
standard in this field called JSON, which also has its defects, as
shown in the PSYC benchmark, but it's less bad than XML?

It makes sense to implement this XEP if you're already a XMPP
client developer, not if you're wondering whether to use XMPP
at all. De facto the majority of people will continue using
Whatsapp and such, even if they're in the same LAN.

Within GNUnet instead, you can't just do worldwide broadcasts
using "Multicast DNS", but GNS should be able to do a similar
job as the one described in the XEP, indeed.

This is a little difficult for me to grasp. My lack of familiarity with
this and GNUnet is only adding to the difficulty. I should definitely
dive deeper into these topics before asking more questions. I hope
much of my confusion will fade away once I familiarize myself with
the topics dicussed previously in this thread.

To add to this, XMPP is designed to be extensible so adding a GNS XEP (These are standard extensions of XMPP) is not a big problem. Like websockets, p2p, quic, or jingle (which is where webrtc came from and is native to XMPP for multimedia streams) also did before.

And outside of that xmpp gives you many benefits even if you dont use DNS or servers. Mainly because you are going to encounter problems that have already been solved by XMPP. Like:

- How do I deliver offline messages

- How do I share sticker packs

- How do I make calls and do multimedia stream negotiation

- How do I do group chats

among others.

What I would probably be looking to implement something with XMPP and Gnunet (and I am already looking in) is using Spritely to actually handle the the security and distributed nature of things. Stuff like capabilities, message passing and network backends (which gnunet can be implemented as).

Spritely as in: https://spritely.institute/

MSavoritias