gnuspeech-contact

[gnuspeech-contact] Windoze-caused compile error solved

From: Robert Hamilton
Subject: [gnuspeech-contact] Windoze-caused compile error solved
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 12:20:47 -0700 (PDT)

In a previous post
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuspeech-contact/2005-05/msg00010.html
I mentioned a "missing separator" compile error for GNuspeech, which I
suspected might have been caused by Windoze-style line feeds. Sure enough
, that WAS the problem. To recap, I downloaded the GNUspeech CVS files via
Tortoise CVS on a Windoze system. (I have no choice in that matter; my
satellite ISP software only allows Windoze.)

Presuming there will eventually be others using this mailing list, who
will also be bound to a Windoze CVS download system for what is a
Linux/Unix package to build from, here is a simple "What-to do."

First some background: Make files won't work if the wrong kind of line
feeds are inserted. Unix-style line endings are just "linefeed" (\n)
characters.  MS-DOS-Windoze line endings are CR-LF pairs (\r\n). So, if
you download unon-tarred (CVS) files in Windoze you get the wrong kind of
line endings. I used a simple utility to convert from Win to Linux lines,
called DOS2UNIX.EXE, available at
http://www.bastet.com/software/software.html

Hope this may be some some help in the future.