gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Request for OS/X executable

From: David Hill
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Request for OS/X executable
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 19:02:40 -0700

Hi Robert,

On Oct 10, 2008, at 2:21 AM, Robert Hamilton wrote:

Well at the moment I don't own a Mac, but if I can get the executable, then I am going to have to buy one. The only current motivation to do so would be to run the "Gnuspeech" pre-processor and Monet, though I'll enjoy the fringe benefit of safer net surfing.

I have read your list comment that Monet could be run on OS X 10.4 or 10.5. So, am I correct in presuming that the SAME, current compilation will run on either? I think I can get a refurbished Mac that runs Tiger, or maybe spring for a new one with Leopard.

I can run the same executable on either my old PPC G5 running 10.4.11 or my new Intel Core Duo iMac running 10.5.4

It is important to realise that when you load Monet and wish to run it, you have to go into the tools menu and bring up at least the Synthesis window.  Also, you have to go into the File menu and open the file monet.diphones which has the rules and posture data.  You can choose which parameters you'd like to view in the Synthesis window (after loading diphones.monet) and you can synthesise.  It is worth checking out the Monet manual even though the Mac version of Monet differs in some small ways from the original NeXT version. See below regarding input.

Before I make the leap, though, let me make sure I understand the current state of development: The Mac Monet executable can now produce realtime sound output from an English text-to-speech database? Or does it just create .wav files?

The current Monet version speaks text directly.  You can also save the output as a file if you want to.  However, you need to take the text you wish to speak and run it through an Applet called (somewhat confusingly) GnuSpeech to convert it to the required syntax for Monet.  The TextToSpeech Server had this conversion facility built into it and didn't have any of the interactive and database creation facilities that are in Monet which is why I tend to talk of "Real-time Monet", but the existing Monet is real time in the sense it produces output immediately.

The "GnuSpeech" text-to-Monet-syntax converter Applet is incomplete in that you can give it input that will cause it to put in syntax to produce a rude noise (so you know the conversion failed where the rude noise occurs).

I can certainly send you a .tar file with everything in it.  I probably should post the .tar file on the savannah site.  I am not sure whether the current version counts as a "release".  It is really a Beta.  Does one post Beta versions on the savannah site?  OK I suppose provided its status is made very clear.

I may have been silent for a long time, but have been monitoring your Gnuspeech progress with great interest. It's gratifying to see that you are still plugging away at this worthy project.

Thank you!

Warm regards.

david

Bob Hamilton