gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Some indications about portability

From: Felipe Castro
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Some indications about portability
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:02:29 -0300

Hi David,

2011/2/27 David Hill <address@hidden>

Thanks for the two emails regarding gnuspeech, including the information about installing on a Debian system under GNUStep, and the useful links. Interesting that you had an undefined variable "false" in the "Synthesizer" compilation. Given that "Synthesizer" is basically a very initial version, I suppose I should be pleased there were not worse problems. The App still requires a fair amount of work -- graphs that are simply stubs and that sort of thing, uncontrolled creation of unused file handles until it crashes in certain conditions, and a lot of removal of redundant, unused code . But it does run correctly enough to give a feel for the tube model, and how the output varies as you vary the basic parameters. These things are on my "to do" list.

Yes, ok, I could feel what the Sinthesizer is, I just didn't feel comfortable with the spectral analysis, because I felt the resolution not so good. Well, I know I should practice it much more... Maybe it could be thought of visualizing the generated waveform too.

So, are you working in your local repository without updating the remote one (at Savannah)? Because I see the last update there dates from 2009 (am I wrong?).

Please keep us in touch on how you make out with the various components. There's an official release of the software coming up soon so your input will be very useful.

Ok, I have read the docs about the process and understand the general approach. I'm very interested in the articulatory method, because we don't see it in other part, at least in the free software world. I'm brazilian (sorry my poor English), and here people seems to be using only contatenation and formant synthesis. And my first goal is not related to Portuguese, but Esperanto.

Any good documentation concerning the compilation and use of the suite of software (Monet, Synthesizer, TTSServer, etc) under Debian GNU/Linux GNUStep would be of great interest.

I have found some annoying bugs in the GNUStep system here, like unresponsiviness of some widgets, but maybe it is related to the alpha state of gnuspeech.

Anyway, I'll try to document my efforts, hopefully it will be useful for someone else.

In order to study ObjC and GNUStep, I tried to launch the Project Center, but it was stuck at an unusable way. Today I'll see it again, in order to test if the infamous machine-restart works for me. :-)
I also installed WindowMaker, but no success then.

You are probably aware that the whole system is still under development. Monet needs the editing stubs expanding so that it can again be used to develop the databases needed for different languages (the tools, such as Monet and Synthesizer, in the software suite, are what we used for the current databases that provide TextToSpeech for English). Marcelo Matuda did most of the port from the Mac version to the GNU/Linux version,but I haven't heard from him for a while.

Yes, I tried to use Monet, but didn't get much of it here.

So you work on OSX firstly and after that update the GNUStep part?
So, if sometime I succeed to help on the code, I should first wait for the updates in the OSX, to port them to the GNUStep?

There is a fair amount of documentation to provide understanding of the system. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I didn't go through all the documentation of Monet, because I couldn't play with it. But I noticed differences in the interface for the new port. Just couldn't see any Inspector window, for example. Is this such a stub to be reimplemented?

If you have access to a NeXT system you can install the NeXT version of the TextToSpeech kit on that and see how the complete system works. It is useful for assisting in the port, since any aspect can be checked directly with a complete, bug-free (?) system.

Unfortunately, it will be very difficult for me to see that kind of hardware, here in Brazil... :-)

Well, I'll try hard to understand that code, because I really wants to play with the system... But for that, I have first to take a look at ObjectiveC tutorials, because what I only know for now is C.

Kind regards,
Felipe.