gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] some conversion questions about Monet manual

From: David Hill
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] some conversion questions about Monet manual
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 15:19:26 -0700

Hi Paul,

On Apr 9, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Paul Tyson wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I put monman934.html into docbook 5.  I ran the latest stock docbook xsl
> stylesheet and got decent-looking html out.

Great!

> I'll be glad to share the
> work-in-progress with you and the list if there is any interest, but I
> want to clean up some more details, and also try to get PDF output.

I'd be interested to see, but only when you feel ready.

> Is there a particular citation and referencing style that you would like
> to follow?  Docbook provides markup capability to the Nth degree in this
> area, but if you have a preferred style guide (APA, MLA), let me know.

Definitely prefer APA

> Would you like me to put the two external sections ("How to add a new
> rule..." and "How to add a new posture...") into the main manual?

There's no reason not to. I think I was trying to allow people to access that
material at the same time as the main text, but I don't think it actually an
issue as there are other ways of doing that, so putting it all in one is a good
modification.

> You had some specialized formatting in the original html--for instance,
> frequent use of emphasis, inline image placement, and decorative section
> breaks.  The emphasis tags were converted, but have a different default
> formatting using the stock docbook xsl.  We can tweak the image
> placement and decorations by customizing the stylesheet.

I was fairly picky about the use of emphasis, italics and so on, and the
in-line images that can be clicked to bring up a big image work well, I think.
I'll have to defer judgement until I see how the updated document looks, but I
expect it will be just fine.

Many thanks for the work you have put in.

Warm regards.

david

---------