Re: path handling changes to try out ...

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: path handling changes to try out ...
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:31:22 +0100

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
2. The location of the defaults database is now determined by the
path specified in GNUSTEP_DEFAULTS_ROOT, or if that is undefined
by GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT.

just made libFoundation support that. Good idea, I recently moved the defaults base to $GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT.

Actually, I wonder how much use all these environment variables are,
and whether it would be better to fix them at the point where the make
package is configured instead of permitting each user to redefine them
at will?

Different Question: What if the environment variables are not set ? IMHO one should switch to a default set. Eg on MacOSX we could "automatically" set most variables (to /Library, /Net/Library etc) and even on Unix we could check whether /usr/GNUstep (/GNUstep,/usr/local/GNUstep) etc exist and autoconfigure for that.

It's somewhat annoying that gstep-make must be loaded even if a "standard" setup is used ! No other program does that ...

Question: is it possible to change LD_LIBRARY_PATH after the program is started ? This would be required for "auto-configure".

I also wonder how much use the GNUSTEP_PATHPREFIX_LIST environment
variable is ... it's really only partially supported right now.

I use it all the time ! It's annoying to check for each of the roots manually. Wish for improvement: automatically filter out duplicates. Eg in SKYRiX deployment we have all roots pointing to the same path ...

Greeetings
  Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG     - http://www.skyrix.com
Visit us at CeBIT 2002 - hall 6 / booth H 39/1