Re: [Fonts]X server crashes when looping on all fonts (fwd)

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [Fonts]X server crashes when looping on all fonts (fwd)
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 15:18:05 +0200

This recommendation would force any user of GNUstep (using the xgps backend) to have a rather new release of the XFree86 X-Server installed. So we may not be able to go along this way, but as we already support the Xft extension as an additional option we could switch our font caching code for this specific environment over to the new enumeration interface. That way GNUstep would still support all old X implementations, while using the new interface where it is available and the user wants it. I have not looked into the new enumeration code, or rather I looked into it when I did write the Xft extension, but did not fully understand it at that time. Perhaps somebody is already familiar with this and can provide the code for a specific font cache tool for this environment.

We could take this as a chance to rework our current font caching as well, as this currently ignores the available font sizes and encodings, whcih should be used to allow for a better font selection, when the requested font is not available.

Cheers
Fred