Re: Opaque fonts/colorspace. Quartz

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Opaque fonts/colorspace. Quartz
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 23:46:32 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:

> I finally got around to making colorspace and font passing between the
> front-end and backend opaque, which means you could override the methods
> to create and set colorspaces and fonts to return and accept a backend
> specific structure (See AppKit/NSGraphicsContext.h and
> AppKit/GSFusedSilicaContext.h).

Looks like the GSFontInfo classes are still necessary to provide
information, though. Anyway, since Pierre-Yves and I are working on
implementing the text system completely and properly, this got me
thinking a bit about how font interaction should work. Previously, I
thought that adding methods in GSFontInfo to provide advanced font
information would do, but opaque font references kindof mess that up.

It made me think of another idea, though: NSLayoutManager could be built
to rely on a couple of primitive font interaction methods (mostly
dealing with generating glyphs from strings). The implementation in gui/
would just have dumb implementations (since there's no general way of
getting the information; -glyphWithName: wouldn't be that great for
large amounts of text), and backends that can provide more information
can override the methods in a category.

- Alexander Malmberg