Re[2]: GDL2 on MacOS X

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[2]: GDL2 on MacOS X
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:06:51 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:08:37 +0100 Stéphane Corthésy <address@hidden> wrote:

 >| > They (we?) should. Although I don't think any of the main developers
 >| > use MacOSX so we would rely on patches and bug reports from others.
 >| >
 >| > I don't think your patch will work though, since you  need the garbage
 >| > collecting classes for gdl2. We're working on a compatibility library
 >| > that you could compile on MacOSX to get this to work.
 >|

 >| Well, if we could avoid using that garbage collector... You wrote that
 >| gdl2 should be usable without GC, so why hardcode superclass
 >| dependencies?

I don't see how GDL2 could avoid garbage colection or similar mechanism.
 See http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/gdl_2.html
     (Resolving cycles within your model. A garbage collector)

Yes, it compile well on my computer. But with a previous version installed
(I haven't tried from scratch).

 >| > macros should be used, since it's possible to compile GNUstep with
 >| > automatic garbage collection, so that retain/releases aren't even
 >| > needed.
 >|

 >| I understand that. The fact is that currently gdl2 implementation is
 >| not consistent at all. Needs a spring cleanup.

Concerning GC, I don't think so: there's part where GC is needed
(see above) and parts where retain/release or GC could be used.

Manuel

Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <address@hidden>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998