Re: gnustep-make on OSX

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: gnustep-make on OSX
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:54:20 +0100

On Freitag, Dezember 20, 2002, at 03:30  Uhr, Nicola Pero wrote:
Yes ... I'd probably like to change the library combo for OSX from
nx-nx-nx to apple-apple-apple.

In theory I should have kept support for the three building options, gnu, nx, apple, as you say ... but it started to get complex, so I dropped the
oldest and (frankly) obsolete one.

While agree that the nx combo isn't really important, I can't follow how it leads to complexity ? (I'm again somewhat frightend[how is this word written ;-)] that library combos are going to be consider too "complex").

It's just to simplify maintaintenance that I did it.  I can rewrite and
recast code more freely this way. I had no way to check the old code, and
looking at it, I also think it was already broken.

Hm, maybe. At least the old code contained code which once produced valid NeXTstep entities and removing it altogether removes knowledge ... ;-)

BTW: A major problem is that Finder doesn't support reading GNUstep.sh,
which implies that you either need to start all GNUstep related
programs (including PBX) from the shell or patch
.MacOSX/environment.plist to include/define all required environment
variables statically.
Hmmm.

I thought about that one. It's less a problem in practice. Since in the nx-nx-nx combo GNUstep is only used for building, we can just use a shell-script "gsmake" from PBX which sources GNUstep.sh and calls make.

There is a particular trick which I have in mind to get there ...
which is
that library.make will actually build frameworks on OSX ... but I need
experiment with this.  :-)

Hm, good idea ! This would solve me a lot of problems and does more or
less exactly what I need.

Ok - I'll go on with it.

:-) Is there already something new for OSX in CVS ?

[Umbrella Frameworks]
Thanks for the suggestion.  Not immediately, but maybe later.

;-) OK.

BTW: in OSX you can bundle frameworks in any bundle. Eg for distribution you can add all required frameworks into the application bundle. All this makes it very easy to install apps for the user.

Greetings
  Helge