Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:39:58 -0600

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 05:49 AM, David Ayers wrote:

Well this is a decision that just has to be made explicit before we can continue...

a) We leave the gnustep/ directory (and also leave gnustep/base, gnustep/gui) and install Foudation (when applicable) at top level (well, with --disable-flattened under the library combo) and require -make to install gnustep. b) We move everything to the the top level and support custom OS X / PB projects.

I personally have no preference. Yet, I would prefer a final decision soon though. And we should at least inform -discuss about the decision before we commit anything affecting this.

I'd rather not add too many top-level header directories. But one of the points of these changes was to support packages like frameworks. So we should probably do (b) but be picky about what we want to install...

But if they're going to be moved...

David Ayers wrote:

gnustep/unicode -> GNUstepBase/unicode/

gnustep/x11 -> GNUstepX11
gnustep/xlib -> GNUstepXLib
gnustep/gsc -> GNUstepGSC
or
gnustep/x11 -> GNUstepBack/x11
gnustep/xlib -> GNUstepBack/xlib
gnustep/gsc -> GNUstepBack/gsc

Definitely the second option, _if_ we're going to install these at all.

I'd prefer not install them at all, if they are not meant to be public.

Yes. The back headers were installed when the API was young and some developers needed them to get access to X Windows. I don't think that's necessary anymore except in the rare case where some one is trying to implement something very backend specific and the API to handle it isn't defined.

I'm not sure whether we should touch these, but if so:

gnustep/extensions -> FoundationExt/extensions
gnustep/objc -> FoundationExt/objc

I'm leaning toward updating then because some of the above seem to rely
on -Ixxx/gnustep

That should be fixed, but we don't to move things around to do that;
removing the -I.../gnustep is enough.

Depending on "the decision", I'll try to insure either
"gnustep/extensions/*.h"
"gnustep/objc/*.h"
or
"FoundationExt/extenstions/*.h"
"FoundationExt/objc/*.h"

Doesn't matter to me. The Foundation Extensions is completely unsupported (as far as I am concerned) and technically shouldn't even be in the repository (wrong license). I've kept it there because the db and gsweb library needed it. Hopefully we can transition away from it.