Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:52:23 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:

I was saying I was conflicted about what we should do, but that it was probably best just to remove the gnustep directory and move everything (i.e. everything that is an independent project) to the top-level Header directory. I think unicode is part of baseadd and should go there (GNustepBase/unicode?)

Well, then maybe we shouldn't rush into it yet and let it sink a bit more. *If* we move unicode into GNUstepBase/unicode, we might already be defeating the purpose of the -framework installation with PB, because I doubt that they provide for subdirectories. If they did, then we should have been able to keep gnustep/base also.

Can I interpret this as an "OK not to install"? I think the /rare cases/ can rely on private local declarations.

Yes.

Thanks!

Doesn't matter to me. The Foundation Extensions is completely unsupported (as far as I am concerned) and technically shouldn't even be in the repository (wrong license). I've kept it there because the db and gsweb library needed it. Hopefully we can transition away from it.

I'll work up a patch for db to use -baseadd instead, while waiting on the "the decision". Richard already fixed gsweb.

Well, I though db was obsoleted by gdl2? If you want to patch it, that's fine, but don't do extra work on my account...

Well on the one hand, yes. I'm convinced that gdl2 is in a lot better shape than db. But it does have a different (older) API. Personally I believe it's quite dead. I've quickly dug into making the patch anyway, but I must admit that I'm not necessarily keen on redoing the qualifier parser (unless I can easily use the one from gdl2, I haven't checked yet), if no one is interested in db anymore.

I guess I'll have to post the request for removal on the user lists though first (unless someone here already objects).

Cheers,
David