Re: NSHomeDirectory() problems on windows

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSHomeDirectory() problems on windows
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:58:30 +0100

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 08:51 AM, S.J.Chun wrote:

But the problem is that in Windows XP, %HOMEPATH% also contains spaces, for my case, %HOMEPATH% is \Documents and Settings\NeXT, so %USERPROFILE% or %HOMEDRIVE% %HOMEPATH% are equal and I think this is valid result(why two should have different value?). I think we have two kind of choices, one is using operating systems native home directory mechanism or create our own mechanism which should be platform
independent.

PS)
My opion is using OS's native mechanism. Why GNUstep should not work on space contained directory or path? Also, I can just create directory or path which contains spaces. So, supporting is more appropriate choice than
giving up.

It seems that it's impossible to support it for building software because
the make program is designed on the assumption that spaces do not
appear in paths.

I guess we could remove the check from the base library, so a home
directory containing a space would work at runtime, even though any
attempt to build software with that setting would bomb.  Perhaps that
was what Nicola meant to imply when he said

Make (not gnustep-make, I'm talking of make itself) has been designed
thinking that filenames would never contain spaces.  It's an implicit
design assumption which can't be fixed.

On the other hand, this issue should only arise when compiling, not when
using the software.