[Fwd: Contfusion about copyright]

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: [Fwd: Contfusion about copyright]
Date: 22 Oct 2003 10:49:22 -0600

I got this message from RMS. Please check that you programs do NOT say
copyright FSF, unless they really are. Thanks
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Contfusion about copyright Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:25:22 -0400
There is a program called GRubik whose web site is
http://www.gnustep.it/marko/GRubik/

and a file in the program has this text:

{
  ApplicationName = "GRubik";
  ApplicationDescription = "GNUstep Rubik's cube";
  ApplicationRelease = "Rubik 0.1";
  FullVersionID = "0.1, July 2002";
  Authors = ("Marko Riedel <address@hidden>");
  Copyright = "Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.";
  CopyrightDescription = "Released under the GNU General Public License 2.0";
}

The FSF is not in fact the copyright holder, as far as I can tell,
since he never signed an assignment for it.  It is theoretically
possible that some employer of his assigned it, but that is very
unlikely.  I expect that he thought he could make the FSF the
copyright holder without signing any papers.

This misunderstanding might be shared by others.  Can you look
around at various programs written for GNUstep looking for
other such cases?  Please respond.

Meanwhile, if he would like to make this a GNU package, or else make
it a part of the GNUstep package, that can be considered.  And then he
could assign the copyright to the FSF if he wants to.

--- End Message ---