Re: NSUser and paths generally

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: NSUser and paths generally
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:46:27 +0000 (GMT)

> >I made this suggestion in relation to 'packaging' rather than 'portability'.
> >Implementing this would mean that GNUstep system configuration for most *nix
> >would be in /etc/GNUstep which is consistent with what other packages do,
> >especially WindowMaker. Make life easier for sys admins.
> >
> >It would also mean you could run GNUstep applications without sourcing
> >GNUstep.sh. Plus, you lose the -make dependancy. I see win, win here. Break
> >nothing and add important functionality.
> >
> Wouldn't it require every process to parse that .plist?  I'm not sure
> that the performance hit would be for simple tools.

I don't see why it has to be a plist.  A simpler .strings file sort of
syntax (a list of xxx=yyy lines) would be simpler and faster to parse, and
more unlikely to generate awful circular start up problems of the sort "to
find the gnustep-base resources you have to know GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT; to
know GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT you have to parse a plist; to parse a plist you
have to load the basic character sets; to load the basic characters sets
you have to find the gnustep-base resources".

> >>Yet how would you stop a user from using LD_LIBRARY_PATH & co. to
> >>manipulate behavior?

Why would you want to stop a user from using LD_LIBRARY_PATH to manipulate
behaviour ?

It's a feature which you can't do anything about anyway - it's there.