Re: DirectFB backend, I'm going for it!

From: Chad Hardin
Subject: Re: DirectFB backend, I'm going for it!
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:41:46 -1000

On Jan 9, 2004, at 4:19 PM, Alexander Malmberg wrote:

Chad Hardin wrote:
[snip]
I think I can handle One by simply putting in window decoration code
and handling in DirectFBServer.  However, in order to actually draw to
the screen it would need to use the other half of the backend, call it
DirectFBLib.  So I'm wondering if there will be problems with the
server side of the backend drawing to the screen and hence relying on
the graphics side of the backend. What do you all think, will there be
a problem with this type of thing?

I don't think there'd be any technical problems (at least none that
couldn't be solved fairly easily). It would make your server part depend
on your graphics part, but you might not have a problem with that.

That said, I (still) have a TODO for implementing window decoration
drawing in -gui that could be used in backends that don't have any
"native" window decorations. In short, the plan is to have a
-(BOOL)handlesWindowDecorations in GSDisplayServer. If the backend
returns NO, things behave like they do now. If it returns YES, -gui will
include window decorations in the window, and will handle movement,
resizing, etc. by itself.

Oh nice. It seems only fitting that I work on this, since I was planning to do it in the backend anyhow. Plus, I'm the only one who currently has a need for such a thing.

I'm gonna do a cvs pull and look in there. Will I find any skeleton or structure information in the sources on how it should be done?

I suppose I should look at the NSMenu* stuff to, since it is already doing it's own window decoration and handling.

This will be first contribution to the actual gnustep sources, so I may ask some silly questions. I appreciate all the work everyone does and look forward to their advice as well as yours.

[snip]
About Two:  It seems that there will HAVE to be some type of
inter-process communication going on for this,

Yes.

probably NSDistributedNotificationCenter?

Depending on what you actually need to do, distributed notifications,
DO, something dfb-specific, or something completely different may be the
most appropriate. :)

I was thinking something in the gnustep-gui arena. I guess there can be a distributed object, held by a dock or whatever, which each app sends messages to when something happens to them (like iconifying windows, change the appicon, create their appicon, etc). I suppose a NSDistributednotificationCenter could fit in as another possibility. Have a basic daemon which runs the center and sends notifications to the dock, or whoever is interested.

The question is then, who will handle
this? Maybe a dock something like Apple's dock which swallows appicons
and miniwindows?  I was thinking something along the lines that
whenever an app is supposed to create an appIcon and when it's windows
are supposed to become miniwindows they instead tell the Dock (or
whatever is handling it) to do it instead.

-gui will do some of this for you, so you should just have to watch the
masks and do the Right Thing with those kinds of windows. There are many
possible ways of doing this, so unless directfb restricts it, how is up
to you.

Interesting, I will have to delve into the sources and figure out the ways...

thanks!

Chad

- Alexander Malmberg