Re: Keyed decoding of geometry

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Keyed decoding of geometry
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:57:57 +0000

On 26 Jan 2004, at 13:49, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Looks like we have a disagreement here. What about a compromise for the time this area is still under heavy development? For now the keyed unarchiving code goes into a separate method that gets called from the specific initWithCode: methods that still contain the old decoder code. When we are sure about the code that goes there we can see, if there is any similarity with standard coding making sharing worthwhile, or not.

At least for the AppKit classes this will be needed. I am not that sure about the Fondation classes. Here the few classes I did implement are so simple, that merging the code would do. So what about doing Foundation your way (everything in one initWithCoder: method) and AppKit uses the separate method approach, with a review taking place in about half a year?

Sounds OK, but I'd like to point out that putting everything in the -initWithCoder: and encodeWithCoder: methods is not my way. My way is to do whatever seems best on a case by case basis, and not to write code which makes assumptions about private methods of superclasses.

By the way, the keyed encoding/decoding should be fully working for xml format archives now ... at least to the point where we need to start using it in order to find and fix any remaining bugs. It seems pretty straightforward except for being sure of the circumstances when apple library classes use private methods of NSKeyedArchiver and NSKeyedUnarchiver.